Sunday, March 10, 2013

Calm Sea of Remembrances


The Echo of What Remains Collected Poems of Wanda Lea Brayton







I have not been to Capistrano, imbued by butterflied aching 
or drifted arches through Angangueo under a slow midnight sky, yet -  
I have heard the motions of wings wild and benign with glory. 

I have never danced in Paris or whispered in Venice, 
although I have sipped café au lait at an anonymous bistro  
and floated aimlessly in a shallow boat,  
my fingers trailing in the currents of an unnamed canal. 

There were no minstrels 
or ministering angels 
to anchor my sorrow or alleviate my joy.

I have forgotten a thousand places - 
misplaced far too many names and faces, 
but no matter how aged or infirm I may eventually become,  
I shall never forget 

the feeling of your breath discovering my flesh 
or the scent of your hair as you slept beside me, 
wandering within these foreign fields.







2 comments:

  1. Every page I turn I discover a place of wonder. these are incredible. a beautiful wordsmith. your words invoke so much deep feeling, love, affection, longing. simply lovely. I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and generous support. I appreciate your time.

      Delete