Friday, October 26, 2012

Perhaps Redemption


The Echo of What Remains Collected Poems of Wanda Lea Brayton




Beneath the angry breath of a convicted moon,
hung with condescension, I lay sentenced, 
growing in the dim light of your arms.

There is nothing to keep us here
but each other's swollen, red-rimmed eyes - 
nothing to teach us
but silence.

We are far beyond the cradle now, 
waiting for the mourning to commence, 
yet, we reject its sardonic pith -

we choose, instead, 
to burrow into the sweet soil
of a well-nurtured orchard, 
bearing the fruit of our loveliness,
unforgotten and consumed.







2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Ageing gracefully and without any remorse. Filling the tid bits with love...

    Loved these lines,

    "There is nothing to keep us here
    but each other's swollen, red-rimmed eyes -
    nothing to teach us
    but silence"

    Growing old with someone is such a fantastic thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful words - I appreciate the generosity of your time. I'm not so sure about the "graceful" part, but I am aging gratefully and without remorse...My husband and I were married in April 2009, during National Poetry Month - and my 9th grade English teacher came to "give me away" at our wedding - he got me started on this creative path, along with my mother, who was a great artist and who loved reading, music and nature.

      Delete