Sunday, February 17, 2013

Emptied of Spice: Inspired by Lorca




The Echo of What Remains Collected Poems of Wanda Lea Brayton





Bones burnished by dense heat,
dusted by dry, aching winds,
flesh furrowed by ferocious fate,
I come to your den, diminished.

Moonlight howls slowly within these vanquished veins.

My heart swells, tendered too much 
from darkened depths of sorrow’s arching fist.

Dragging my lagging spirit behind me,
drenched by tumbleweeds’ webs,
I arrive in your domain, depleted and worn,
seeking new breath to hold me
above this grasping soil that would have me too soon.

I bring no gifts; only grief have I to offer
this eternal blankness inside your eyes.

Tear my limbs apart with wild wrath -
rebuild me as you choose.

I shall listen with every newly-woven fiber
of my unknowing self.

I am here to learn this life over again.






No comments:

Post a Comment